Tuesday, August 31, 2010

cloudy with a chance of falafel

This morning, we are experiencing our first truly cloudyish morning.  It doesn't hold a candle to the rainy Portland mornings that I miss so much, but it definitely made our morning walk to school more pleasant.  The heat wave broke early last week, and it's been a manageable heat ever since.  Still, everywhere I go my face turns red as a fire engine.  People here don't have the same social sensitivities as we do in the States, obviously, and a part of that is that my host family is always telling me when I get home how red my face is.  I have told them a few times that it's normal for me when I walk in the hot sun, but still every time I come in from the hot walk home at the end of the day, my host brother Khaled laughs at me. 

Last night, my host family took me and my roommate to Salt for 'ifTaar. 


It was a relief to get out of Amman, and to see some new scenery:


Our host father drove us by his childhood home:


And we finally arrived at his sister's house just in time for a tasty 'ifTaar complete with kunafa, my favourite.  This was the gorgeous view from their porch:

No comments:

Post a Comment